(São Paulo / SP, 1945) Holding a degree in architecture from Universidade Mackenzie (1967), José Resende studied engraving in Fundação Armando Álvares Penteado and had classes with Wesley Duke Lee. In 1984, he was awarded with a scholarship from John Guggenhein Memorial Foundation. In 1970, he cofounded, along with Carlos Fajardo, Frederico Nasser and Luiz Paulo Baravelli, the Centro de Experimentação Artística Escola Brasil, where he taught until 1974. Also in the 1970’s, he was editor of the Malasartes magazine, alongside other artists and critics, and in 1980 was one of the editors of the print A Parte do Fogo. Resende participated in several group shows, among which can be highlighted the Venice Biennial, 1988; Documenta (Kassel), 1992; several editions of the Bienal de São Paulo (1967, 1983, 1989 e 1998); Biennale de Paris (1980 – special mention); Latin American Artists of XX Century (Paris, Sevilla, Cologne and Nova York), 1992-1993; and Bienal do Mercosul (2001 and 2004). He has presented solo shows in Brazil and abroad, in institutions such as the Museu de Arte Moderna (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil), 2011, 1975 and 1970; Palacete das Artes - Rodin Bahia (Salvador, Brazil), 2010; Centro de Artes Hélio Oiticica (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil), 1998; Robert Miller Gallery (New York, USA), 1995; Centro Cultural Banco do Brasil (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil), 1994; Galeria Livio Abramo (Asunción, Paraguay), 1993; Capela do Morumbi (São Paulo, Brazil), 1992; University of Hartford (Hartford, USA); 1991; MAC USP (São Paulo, Brazil), 1990 and 1970; and MASP (São Paulo, Brazil), 1974. He taught at Universidade de São Paulo, FAAP, Mackenzie and PUC Campinas. Em 2003, the publishing house Cosac Naify released the book José Resende.